Penthouse living in a city as vibrant, arty and energetic as Barcelona is something we don't take lightly. Pair this with hotel-like services, a prime location and an apartment rental agency that makes renting a holiday vacation rental easy, and you have DestinationBCN, whose Marimon penthouse is second to none. Not only is it a short stroll away from some of the city's iconic landmarks, but it reigns at the top of a building on the palm tree lined avenue Diagonal. The area itself has undergone some renovations recently and has a pretty fine selection of interior design stores, fashion houses and cute places on the little quaint streets nearby.
Anne Nijstad not only runs the day to day management of the apartments via her company DestinationBCN, she is also an interior designer and is responsible for the uniquely designed boutique suites. It is no surprise to hear that she has a fashion and graphic design background, as the clean, fresh, yet cosy aesthetic is second to none and is in keeping with DestinationBCN's philosophy of having "Nordic influences paired with Mediterranean soul". The team are welcoming, professional and we must say, Anne is effortlessly cool. You kind of feeling like your staying at a stylish friend's holiday place, and can't help but want to immerse and live like a local.
Tea, coffee, water are complimentary and already stocked, so you don't have to worry about rushing out to buy the essentials. Let us not forget the bowl of seasonal fruit (we had delicious crisp apples) and chocolate biscuits that are also in the penthouse for you to enjoy. Aside from food, you have nice mod cons such as the smart TV, immaculate kitchen and you even have a sunroom out on the wooden decked terrace. The 1950 Ercol chairs, Beni Ourrain Moroccan rug and loungers contribute to a very eclectic and carefully curated style. Design fans will appreciate the stack of Cereal and Architectural Digest magazines (kudos to the great selection), whilst the practical gang can browse through Time Out, city guides and other magazines that they change from time to time. You can also spruce up with some upscale bathroom amenities by natural apothecary brand Malin + Goetz during your stay.
Upon check-in, the team meet you directly at the penthouse and thoroughly go through all the amenities and important points in reference to the pad. A well presented booklet is provided with all the key information, including instructions on how to use the equipment, your apartment address, check-out etc. You even get a list of recommended places to eat - neatly organised by what the Spanish refer to as barrios (neighbourhoods) and price point, which was very much appreciated and went way beyond our expectations. A list of nearby places, such as cash machine, supermarket, pharmacy etc, is also provided. If you require a private chef, babysitter or any special request the team are well connected and work with selective and local collaborators that can help you with a variety of services.
- A kitchen with high quality appliances: a fridge/freezer, dishwasher, microwave/oven, induction hob, toaster, coffeemaker, juicer, blender and cooking utensils
- A spacious loft-like living room with 4 meter high ceilings
- A bedroom with either a kingsize bed or 2 twin Swissflex bed(s). Soft (goose down) and firm (anti allergen) pillows.
- An en-suite bathroom with a rain shower, a toilet, and a washbasin
- A private terrace with views over the neighboring buildings and towards the Montjuïc
- The penthouse is stocked with herbs, spices, oil, vinegar, coffee, tea, sugar, toilet paper and shower gel
- Rain shower plus a hand shower, a toilet and a washbasin
- Crispy linen and fluffy towels
- A 32" screen satellite TV, a CD/DVD player + a collection of DVD's and CD's
- A laundry room with a washing machine, a dryer and an iron and board
- Air conditioning and heating system
- WIFI / ADSL internet connection free of charge
- A phone line from which you can make local calls and receive calls worldwide
Rate - From190 euros p/n based on two people
Location - on Diagonal, just by the Boss store and very close to Enric Granados
Suitable for - couples, solo travellers, families and friends
Tip - Check out DestinationBcn's website for their recommendations near all of their apartments.
Images © DestinationBCN